Is it just me or have videogames lost something in recent years. The industry seems to be focusing more on the graphics to sell games, but is that taking away form the other aspects? I say yes and no. First of all I want to make clear I’m not against the way games have evolved. This was just a thought I had while checking the new releases recently. Think about it games have come such a long way in a short time, and we’re still early in this generation. Perhaps I’m bias growing up in the 8bit era, where the graphics were lacking, the games were fun, stood on their own, and some just had really good stories. Another question that came to mind is if gamers of today would give older games a chance? I mean they don’t have the graphics of the newer ones, but I, personally, don’t believe graphics make a game. They do help, in some instances. What do you think?
Regardless, the industry is doing the next logical step for this era of gaming. I just can’t help but feel like the younger/new generation of gamer is missing out on something. Is it graphics? Is it variety? I don’t know. We do have things like the Wii’s virtual console, so the classic games are out there, for the new generation. But are they taking advantage of it. I think some are. There is no real answer to any of these questions but I can at least give my thoughts. I feel bad that they don’t have the overall variety that I grew up with. They might have the best games graphically, but I grew up during the Nintendo/Sega war, with other systems like the Turbo Grafix 16, Atari Jaguar, and Neo Geo. Now we have the standard Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, knowing where they stand. I guess all I’m trying to say is, though I love to see games evolve, my heart is with the games and systems of old. However, the next few years of gaming, as well as the next generation of systems, seems very promising. What are some of your thoughts?
Regardless, the industry is doing the next logical step for this era of gaming. I just can’t help but feel like the younger/new generation of gamer is missing out on something. Is it graphics? Is it variety? I don’t know. We do have things like the Wii’s virtual console, so the classic games are out there, for the new generation. But are they taking advantage of it. I think some are. There is no real answer to any of these questions but I can at least give my thoughts. I feel bad that they don’t have the overall variety that I grew up with. They might have the best games graphically, but I grew up during the Nintendo/Sega war, with other systems like the Turbo Grafix 16, Atari Jaguar, and Neo Geo. Now we have the standard Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, knowing where they stand. I guess all I’m trying to say is, though I love to see games evolve, my heart is with the games and systems of old. However, the next few years of gaming, as well as the next generation of systems, seems very promising. What are some of your thoughts?

Well, you already said the Virtual Console, though I personally have no knowledge of how well the old school games sell on their. Plus, do we really know if its more kids or people our age buying stuff off there?
ReplyDeleteI am more from your school of though though, and I've seen too many kids who pass on amazing games simply because the technology isn't as advanced as what they're growing up with. Still, I can't help but be reminded of how well New Super Mario Bros. for the DS sold. Makes you wonder, huh?