
Recently I had gone through and catalogued my entire collection using a computer program. In doing so I saw the gaps my comics which shows when I was heavy into collecting. (Unfortunately since then our computer crashed and I lost everything I had catalogued.) My first comic was Amazing Spider-man #290 from July 87’ (The issue where Peter “pops” the question to Mary Jane) I was 6 years old. My favorites we’re Spider-man and Batman. (With the help of Tim Burton’s Film getting me in to Batman.) I collected what I could for comics, some from local stores, but a lot came from flea markets. I remember more of the story arcs and books I collected starting with Batman’s “Death in the Family” arc which tells of the second Robin aka: Jason Todd’s death at the hands of the Joker. Then news hit that “Superman was killed” in 1992. So being the comic fan I was with the help of my Dad, we tried to collect all the books leading up to his death along with the issue it self (vol. 2 #75). I remember the first printing was sealed in a black bag and came with an arm band. At the time it was really expensive. (I had to wait till around 4 or 5 years ago until I finally got the first printing.) Shortly after that came the end of the “Knightfall” story arc where Batman’s back was broken by the villain Bane. It goes on from there, I’ve collected on and off for my whole life.
Now to the present and the story that got me back into and still quite heavy into comics now. Re-wind to April 2007 the news headline Captain America is dead. I heard that news and I couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t been into comics for a few years so I knew nothing of the Civil War. All I knew was Captain America was dead… and I needed to know why. I jumped on EBay that very night and grabbed first printings of Captain America #25 (vol.5). Now that I had bought the book I still had no clue what had happened I looked all over the web for answers. Which lead me back to my local comic shop and back into collecting. Once I acquired the comics leading up to Cap’s death including his own title and the Civil War trade paperback. I was blown away with the story and I wanted to know more. So I continued to collect farther back in Ed Brubaker’s run of Cap, and buying some Marvel Essentials to read of early stories. Since then I still read every month and it’s currently my favorite book. Some may think it’s geeky or cheesy but comics can be very well written. It captured me emotionally and has me coming back for more. Thank you, Mr. Brubaker.
Since then I also collect a few more titles, my other current favorites include Thor, Moon Knight, and Invincible Iron Man. So I guess all it takes is a death in the comic-verse to bring me back in if I start to lose interest. LOL But this time I believe I’m in for the long haul baring the cost doesn’t go much more above $3.99 a book….but that’s another topic all together. I’m sure I’ll hit some of the points with more depth int the future. For now I guess...
Great Saiy-Tim out!
Since then I also collect a few more titles, my other current favorites include Thor, Moon Knight, and Invincible Iron Man. So I guess all it takes is a death in the comic-verse to bring me back in if I start to lose interest. LOL But this time I believe I’m in for the long haul baring the cost doesn’t go much more above $3.99 a book….but that’s another topic all together. I’m sure I’ll hit some of the points with more depth int the future. For now I guess...
Great Saiy-Tim out!

Man, it's not cheesy to say that about comics at all. They are art, in every sense of the word, that have value and meaning. While there is a lot out there that is just fluff or pandering, there's also plenty of worth wild stuff that makes you think and challenges conventions. I know I read a couple of Marvel books recently that made me say "wow, superhero comics got a lot deeper than I thought." Not all creators are going to put that effort in because at the end of the day Marvel and DC are businesses, and that will always come first. That doesn't mean a masterpiece can't find its way through as well.
ReplyDelete