Growing up in the mid 80’s with videogames, I remember the great Disney tiles for the various systems. These were the days when game developer Capcom either developed or published titles from the Disney franchise. In my opinion these to this day are some of the best platformers, for kids or not. (Also a few of these titles still hold up as some of my favorite games of all time.) I could really go on and on about this topic and might revisit it again, but for now I’m just going to focus a couple of NES games.
The first of these games I got was Mickey Mousecapade. Though this not one of my favorites it’s the first one I remember. Released in 1987(Japan)/ 1988 (North America) Mickey Mousecapade was developed and published by Hudson Soft in Japan, and published by Capcom in North America. This one-player platformer stars the player as Mickey Mouse with Minnie by his side. You go through various levels trying to rescue a “friend” (who turns out to be Alice, from Alice in Wonderland) who was kidnapped. While doing this you must also protect Minnie who is sometimes abducted, and you much retrieve her before you can proceed. The game has five levels “Fun House”, “Ocean”, “Woods”, “Pirate Ship” and “Castle”.
The first of these games I got was Mickey Mousecapade. Though this not one of my favorites it’s the first one I remember. Released in 1987(Japan)/ 1988 (North America) Mickey Mousecapade was developed and published by Hudson Soft in Japan, and published by Capcom in North America. This one-player platformer stars the player as Mickey Mouse with Minnie by his side. You go through various levels trying to rescue a “friend” (who turns out to be Alice, from Alice in Wonderland) who was kidnapped. While doing this you must also protect Minnie who is sometimes abducted, and you much retrieve her before you can proceed. The game has five levels “Fun House”, “Ocean”, “Woods”, “Pirate Ship” and “Castle”.

There were a few differences between the America and Japanese releases, including the Japanese box art showing Alice, different bosses at the end of various stages, the level names, and to refill his life in the American version Mickey collected diamonds while in Japanese version he used Donald Duck’s head. (LOL) Also a last tidbit I learned from Wikipedia there is a Mickey embedded in the circuit board if the game is removed from the cartridge.
My opinion of the game is a C. Parts of the game are a little tough; the jumping with characters (If Minnie falls you lose a life), the hit detection got a bit annoying, and it wasn’t as fun as the Disney games to come. Overall though I still appreciate the game, the music form the first stage always get stuck in my head, and to be honest writing this make me want to play it. (LOL) So wow… I really wasn’t evening planning a post that much about this game. I’m glad I did though, even if it isn’t one of my favorites I did enjoy it for what it was. So next time I’ll share my thoughts about another one of these classic Disney games. Remember these are just my thoughts and facts. I don’t review things. I like for people to make up there own mind. Not go by what I say.
Bye for Now!

This is one of those games that wasn't all that great that I played a lot as a kid simply for not knowing any better. It was fun at the time, but frustrating as heck. I never even knew Alice was in the game, I only ever got as far as the woods.
ReplyDeleteThe hit detection is what immediately comes to mind when I think about this game though (aside from the first level's theme, now I'm humming it to myself. Thanks Tim). I remember there were the Fantasia brooms that were a pain to defeat. You couldn't actually hit them, you'd have to jump and have you stars just graze the top of their heads for them to die. WHY!? And how about how when you were hit you jumped in the air and were frozen for a minute? That was a pain.
Still, for all the flaws, it was a fond game of my childhood.