Thursday, March 26, 2009

Some random Game Boy thoughts...


After my post about Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, I started thinking about some of the merchandise I didn’t have. Mostly the videogames, I have the NES game. I also knew there was one for the game boy and the Atari lynx. Seeing as I don’t have a lynx (yet LOL), I found the game boy version cheap on eBay. Playing the game a bit, it’s really not that bad. It reminds me of a classic arcade title, where the levels take place on a screen, and your objective is to collect the flashing orbs to complete each stage, while trying to avoid enemies and finish with in the time limit. This got me thinking again. This game is kind of fun, but it being “Bill & Ted” was pretty irrelevant. I know there are a lot of games like this, so I started thinking of more that I have played / own. The big one that came to mind was also on the game boy, “The Real Ghostbusters”.



Developed by Kemco, and published by Activision this game was released in 1993. It was a plat forming, puzzle solving game where you played as Peter Venkman trapped in a castle, and you must collect stars to open the door to the next level. Your proton pack is only used to blast bocks on the floor, and you use bombs to destroy the enemies. That’s all well and good. A fun game, but other then the theme song looped in game, the enemies resembling ghosts from the cartoon, and your sprite being Venkman, it wasn’t much like Ghostbusters. So I checked a bit online, and this is what I found. The company that made this game also released two other games which looked identical in the screen shots I found. Except, instead of Venkeman running around, there was Garfield in one version, and Mickey Mouse in the other. These games were called “Mickey Mouse IV: Mahou no Labyrinth” and “Garfield Labyrinth”. The Mickey one came first and was reprogrammed twice first as Garfield then as Ghostbusters. So there you go this game really could have been anything, and it really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment